Old Stone Church -
Our History

Our Church

Our church, known to many as The Old Stone Church, was organized in 1784 as a daughter church of The Old Paramus Church. It is a part of the Reformed Church in America, a denomination which traces its roots to the Dutch community which played such an important role in early American history.

While there is evidence that the original church building was erected in 1789, our present sanctuary was built in 1819. An extensive renovation in 1971 – 1972 recreated the appearance of the original structure.

Our Cemetery

Our cemetery is the resting place of numerous Revolutionary War and Civil War Veterans. Church records indicate that the following veterans have been buried at our historic site.

Revolutionary War Veterans

1756-12/26/1820 Stone OK, No Marker
Row 1Second Regt, Orange County Militia
West of Driveway Page 158, New York in The Revolution

1/23/1738-3/12/1811 Stone OK, Has Marker
Row 3 Second Regt. Orange County Militia
No. 22 Page 157, New York in the Revolution

2/10/1742-6/7/1838 Stone OK – Has Marker
Row 2 Second Regt, Orange County Militia
No. 9 Page 157, New York in the Revolution

9/8/1745-9/25/1818 Stone OK, No Marker
Row 3 PVT, NJ
No. 17 Page 195, New York in the Revolution

10/25/1752-1/16/1837 Stone OK, No Marker
Row 1
No.1 Page 195, New York in the Revolution, Supplement

1755-12/8/1832 Stone OK, No Marker
Row 4 Second Regt. Orange County Militia
No. 27 Page 159, New York in the Revolution

9/3/1751-2/7/1839 Stone OK, Has Marker
Row 5 Second Regt. Orange County Militia
No. 21 Page 160, New York in the Revolution

6/4/1753-1/14/1805 Stone OK, No Marker
Row 8 Vol. New Jersey
No. 12

Civil War Veterans

Died, 12/2/1897, Age 70 Yrs.
Co.B 74th N.Y. Vol.
Stone OK, No Marker

Died 12/11/1888
Co. F 10th N.J. Vol.
Stone OK, No Marker

4/15/1890 – 12/13/1905
5th N.Y.Vol. Inf.
Stone OK, No Marker

1/22/1832 – 1/4/1914
No Unit Information
Stone OK, Has Marker

small efforts make big change

Powered by: